ACS trucks

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:00 pm

are this trucks good for anything in particular? i can get a pair of 650(i think) and i wanted to know what would be the best use of them.

leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:48 pm

Those are great slalom trucks Leonardo. ACS 650's make good all around trucks but turn very sharply and that is escpecially good in slalom as you know.

Wedge the back with that fat side to the back and wedge the front truck with the fat side back as well. You'll have a stable fast turning board.

Hope you improve your times with this little formula.
My amp is warmed up and I'm ready to shred!!!

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:56 pm

Bob, You must be thinking of ACS 651s, which had a baseplate of "normal" thickness. The ACS 650s have a heavy, cast baseplate that is, at least, 1/2" thick. Wedging ACS 650s would make the whole rig extremely tall.

Rene Hayden

Post by Rene Hayden » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:41 pm

Same question, but about ACS 500s.

My brother has a pair. They are very odd-turning, the kingpin is almost vertical and screws *into* the baseplate. The bottom bushing rests on a big nut threaded on the kingpin. Seems like the kingpin is going to take a lot of stress.

Came with an old 70s board made entirely out of aluminium (probably a home jobbie), with big camber, no flex.

What would be a good combo rigging/modification for this? So far, all I've done is put a stim and superball in back, soft duro doh-doh and weird, super-soft playdoh-like original bushing in front.

thanks.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:21 pm

I also have a set of acs 500s i was thinking of setting up for slalom. Any reason why I should or shouldnt? What bushings are good for a light rider? Would my bennets with the plastic baseplate be better (i dont really want to break the plate though...)? ANy help would be great. Thanks.
PS i used them before for slalom with the stock bushings, vision double conicals which are 95 duro, and a homemade oak deck. I found it hard to pump, but i think it was the other components in my setup. I am trying to find a way to conserve $$ if i can.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:32 am

can anybody help me with my trucks? i cant loosen or tighten my acs 500 kingpins! they havent been adjusted for about 15 years, so that could be why. i have a flathead kingpin. any tips?
thanks in advance

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:55 am

i was looking at the axel and at other acs 500 pictures. first off, i have the silver metal baseplates (the smaller ones) and i also noticed that my axel is fully threaded and the other ones are only threaded part of the way, like trucks nowadays.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:40 am

Seth Levy wrote:can anybody help me with my trucks? i cant loosen or tighten my acs 500 kingpins! any tips?
thanks in advance
Spray some WD40 on the kingpin in a manner that lets gravity draw the stuff in between the nut and the kingpin. Let it sit like that for about ten minutes and then remove the nut. After the nut comes off, wipe off any excess WD40. If you want to keep the bushings good, make sure that you wipe them off especially. You should probably wipe the outside of the bushings off while you are waiting for the WD40 to do its job.

Mike Elwood

Post by Mike Elwood » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:05 am

I like my ACS 651's just fine. They are probably from about '79. I used to grind them back in the day but somehow I ended up with a brand new pair bolted to an old board I found in my pop's attic not long ago. The original kingpin on one is a nut head while the other is a flat screwdriver type (probably an anti coping hang up thing). They work well on a Bahne alluminum deck from about the same time. A medium flex/camber deck. The bushings however didn't do well with time so some soft ones were installed to replace the old red ones. I prefer 'Bones' since the soft portion is fairly narrow due to a dual duro design. This allows easy turning with stablility at speed. The wheels vary based on riding surface. I have some 500's w/o baseplates so some time I'll probably switch out hangers when using wide wheels. And yeah I had to spray some WD-40 to get thing turning again. I left it on overnight since I was intending on replacing the bushings anyway.
John 3:16