?'s about the Ground Effects Truck

Slalom Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Terry Kirby

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

?'s about the Ground Effects Truck

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:59 am

I have heard some interesting things in both marketing and in the design of this truck. Can any of you give us insight to your knowledge of this design?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:51 am

I'll never ride a conventional truck again. They are that good(for me
at least) . Trackers and indys ride like toys by comparison. Even Gilmour
loves them and he hates everything!You can tune them like an offset for the
rear and they stick like tape but slide predictably. There is no pivot cup
slop cause there is no pivot cup. The axels are true works of art and true
8mm.they come in 101mm 126mm and 150mm all interchangeable on the same
hanger.There are stop screws which you can tune to completely eliminate
wheel bite which is a cool feature. The bad thing is they are expensive as
all hell. But think of how much you spent trying different trucks to see
which works! . Anyway I like em and will ride em in MB.

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:56 am

Like how much TK?

I'm gonna get a set no matter wehat but thought I'd prepare my wallet first.
My amp is warmed up and I'm ready to shred!!!

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:35 am

were looking at no more than 200.00 per truck but no less tham 125.00 per truck. Oct first will be the orders date and Pete will have a solid price by then. Right now the first production run is in the machine shop being made. TK

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:01 pm

[Image (Thank you) courtesy of Peter Verdone bulk e-mail ordering information.]

I am interested in understanding more about the Ground Effect Truck and I am sure that there are others who are interested too.

Here is the web site for Peter Verdone Design for further information or research into this design.

I've seen a couple of CAD images of it and it looks quite technical, a technical truck indeed. Perhaps more racers would want to have one in their quiver or at least be able to read about the function or ?

The only thing I don't like is the "666" logo. Maybe someone can help me understand the reason for this? I am not sure I want to trust my steering system to someone so blatant as to use the age old mark of evil.

Why?

Please understand that this is a conditioned response for me, just my opinion. I will honor the American right for freedom of speach and am capable of actually upholding it here as well.

Just curious and respectfully inquisitive...

:grin:

Thanks.
terence kirby wrote:We're looking at no more than 200.00 per truck but no less than 125.00 per truck. Oct first, 2002, will be the orders date and Pete will have a solid price by then. Right now the first production run is in the machine shop being made. TK

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:47 pm

Adam,
You are not alone in your feelings when you see a 666. But I don't think that it is stamped into what looks to be a VERY promising truck design.
Glenn

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:41 pm

I for one have no prob with the 666 thing. It is just a number until YOU attach significance to it.

If it stops you from buying the truck I can only chuckle a bit.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:21 am

Hi Bob,

I have no problem with you having a laugh on me and I have no problem with that number either.

On the other hand, there is a certain stigma attached to "666" that is an age old representation of evil. When a person uses it in regards to a personal interest, I am definately going to ask a simple question.

Why?

This is no soap box, no moral majority, I'm just a guy who likes good equipment and believes in free speach.

My question is not to you Bob, or wether you like 666 or 69. The question is to the designer.

:grin:

Let's see what Peter Verdone has to say. I made a forum for his truck and it will be interesting to read his reply.
Bob Frias wrote:I for one have no prob with the 666 thing. It is just a number until YOU attach significance to it.

If it stops you from buying the truck I can only chuckle a bit.

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:13 am

That is a fair reply Adam.

Let's see what meastro Verdone says.

I have my doubts that he is a devil worshiper and I know you don't imply such thinking. But what is the significance is a good question indeed.

Peter Verdone

Post by Peter Verdone » Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:45 am

facinating facts about 666:

* 666 is the same number backwards as it is forwards.

* if you flip it over, 666 is 999. but that's not the same number as 666.

* the word "sixsixtysix' has 11 letters. a prime number. 666 is not prime.

all of these facinating facts make about as much sense as this controversy.

Peter Verdone

Post by Peter Verdone » Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:52 am

seriously,

i am happy to answer questions about my designs.

i belive that this truck is going to change the way racing trucks perform and are percieved.

now the 4" slalom truck has a 7" big brother for downhill insanity.

Bob Frias
BoBo
BoBo

Post by Bob Frias » Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:27 pm

I knew there was a logical explanation for it.

Thanks Pete

"The devil is in the details."

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:38 pm

Peter, I would like to thank you for your response to my question.

Everyday people make choices in their lives. Unlike your truck, you have the free will to make a choice in regards to direction.

It is my contention that their is no controversy in the use of 666, it is simply a choice you have made in regards to the design aspect of marketing.

Carefully making a choice is paramount to moving forward in life, much in the way of choosing a truck for a slalom board.

At this point, in regards to slalom skateboard trucks, it is simply a choice. There are many good truck choices and I will make one.

Best Regards to you Mr.Verdone.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:44 pm

In the pictures of the prototypes,with the "Stingers" on it, at Peters website it sure looks to me as if the hanger is pretty close to touching the ground. Am I looking at it wrong? How much clearence is there on those prototypes? How much will the production ones have? Does it matter? Thanks, Glenn

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:05 am

I rode 'em.

I like 'em.

I can't afford them... but like all the stuff I can't afford that really impresses me........I'm going to buy them anyway. Besides... often the items I can't afford but "have to buy" are the ones I end up appreciating the most.

I figure you will too.- eventually. At the current price point they won't replace all trucks but for those of us who can appreciate quality and versatility they will be the truck of choice.

A Tracker RT-X gives tremendous bang for the buck as does a pair of Seismics for $50. The G.E.T. is a different kind of ride and IMHO well worth the money spent for an item like a slalom truck which is likely to last you 20 years (will I be slaloming at 60?).

In timed tests in a GS there was a definite improvement with the G.E.T. over conventional pivot trucks.

Traditional pivot trucks while inexpensive and being the sensible thing to buy when starting to slalom...do wear out, and it is difficult to replace bent axles. Even the Pivots wear out.

Thankfully there are trucks at all price points- and for the quality of design I am excited there exists a truck Like this at this price point.

I like the adjustability of the truck and most importantly the mindset of the designer. Mr. Verdone appreciates criticism of his product and incorporates the criticism into his ongoing design...so that eventually... there is nothing left to critique.

The trucks 8mm axles are first rate. The bushing system works well. The geometry adjustability means that one set of trucks can be used for a variety of different wheel base decks. The "tilt limiter screws" means wheel bite is a thing of the past.

With less slop in the system the truck sides very predictably. A design this successful in it's first stage shows huge promise for helping to move our sport forward.

As for the 666 thing and "Use up your luck" my thoughts were that if you weren't using up your luck... you weren't going for it -and were holding back. These trucks won't make you feel like holding back. They inspire confidence when turning hard at speed.

It looks like if there is an improvement to be made in the way skateboard trucks turn- Mr. Verdone is willing to pursue it to G.E.T. there.

Peter Verdone

Post by Peter Verdone » Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:27 am

I am shipping trucks starting friday afternoon. the trucks have turned out even better than i had expected. man, it's a shame to even ride them.

groundeffect@peterverdone.com

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:46 am

I got the new trucks- even nicer as they use fewer tools for adjustment. There is a stronger return to center feel and subtle changes like using left handed threading to reduce the likelyhood of hanger axles coming off is a welcome addition.

Bushing access is easier as well and the new increased size means you can custom modify the bushing to your liking. True 8mm axles with 8mm threads ensures great roll. Nice anodized finish. Can't wait to get on these.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:38 am

I made a few mistakes this World championships. I took a short board into the GS figureing I could double pump the top....and forgot to double pump.ooooooops. I ended up being forced to criddle the entire top of the course falling so far behind as soon as the race started.

Then in the TS I used my GS deck...which was appropriate as the tight slalom spacing was no closer than 8 feet with many of the straight gates being 10 foot on center- sort of a beginner level level course in terms of complexity and spacing and speed...very few cones were hit and even the some of the Swiss guys who only ran straight courses in Switerland, had no difficulty making the course.

I chose the Verdone truck to run on a Roe Unlimited. The response was quick enough for this looser slalom running with Avalons.

I got some serious traction and pump- being able to really make the deck surge ahead and netted the fastest time of the day until the road surface began to cool allowing for faster times after I was eliminated in the round of 8.

Considering I only practiced with Troy in the Hamptons about 6 times, and with TK about 6 times over the course of the year and only skating in the competitions, the Verdone G.E.T. allowed this out of shape out of practice skater to skate better than he expected. Ironically I had a lead on my first run with Cross - which made me think I had room to spare in the start of the second run...I did not have enough room at the start and let Cross out of the gates first- had to play catch up and plowed a cone or two in the process- eliminating myself in the process.

Realistically without the G.E.T. truck I doubt I would have been in the running. Only Truck and Deck technology allowed me to get this far this year.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:54 am

adam trahan wrote:The only thing I don't like is the "666" logo. Maybe someone can help me understand the reason for this? I am not sure I want to trust my steering system to someone so blatant as to use the age old mark of evil.
i've been reading this several days ago, seems benign, but couldn't dig it,
i had to come back here.
i wish not to hurt you Adam, but 1st degree reception of religious mythic symbols can only mislead. God knows in these times a bit of doubt would be highly useful in faith matters too. Sincerely, if a wise person like you can be upset so easily, well... this is actually frightening.
In this real world evil may actually dare faking ...

keep in mind the rather definitive words of John Lydon:
"Stain glass windows
Keep the cold outside
While the hypocrit
Hide inside"

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:58 am

the devil has actually put his mark on the code of this page ;)

< Ed note: I fixed the display problem of this page before reading your post. "What the devil destroys, we'll fix." /Jani >

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:11 pm

The symbol "666" is a known symbol in the world that represents evil. It is also a number, one before 667.

What evil is to you is your business.

Choosing a number to represent a product in the business world is none of my business.

As a consumer and a participant of this web site, I do have a choice how to voice my opinion.

I am making a study of the Kabbalah and my mind is open...

I am not afraid of numbers or skateboard trucks or even evil, what ever that is to you.

I've also made many stained glass windows for all sorts of churches and I also like quotes, even from guys who call themself "Johnny Rotten."

I've said what I need to say, don't need to say any more on this subject because at this point, it's an old subject and I have nothing to add.

Have fun and keep sharp.

adam

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:14 pm

sorry for the miswriting.
a bit of an anachronism here: at this point of his corpus the guy has squarely turned his back on this part of his life, and on the show buziness thing, though this may seem a bit paradoxal.
of course genuine religious thing has little to do with what this is about. But this voice has something solid to tell us.
Whatever if you study the kabbalah i don't need to tell you what to think of first degrees and dogmas...

"666" here means a certain excitement facing danger, and the struggle of the creative technician who faces the unknown, like some Mary Shelley caracter, bouh!, and a very healthy bad manners attitude too. Not too modest, but it's good stuff if i understand ?
You should not take this too seriously, if i may suggest, while there are enough things that request to worry about out there.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:35 pm

No worries, I've been told that this forum is too "Eurocentric" and I took that as a compliment. You see, we are communicating through a tough topic that many people can't discuss even in the same country and same language.

For me, it's about respect wether it is talking to you about dogma or skateboard slalom.

You are a slalom enthusiast, I like you and I don't mind a little bantor with you on the odd subject.

These trucks are a choice of some top slalom racers. That and what has already been said is enough to say on this subject regarding numbers.

Have fun.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:34 pm

it's hard to guess what you may be talking about...
by "here" i meant "in that case" not here in Europe, here in Europe it means nothing at all, for anybody, even a catholic fondamentalist priest would hardly notice it...
the "respect" thing ? Do you mean anyone should go by your private beliefs to be respectful ? If you go by that, there is just nothing one can say, since there are so many different beliefs in this world. (By the way the Apocalypse was writen by a single witness, not even a prophet, its sacred quality is very questionable - believe my huguenot education on this.)
You started this topic, and why not ?

For what's "international", i'll keep it in the french section, obviously where a french is, it's un-american, or so it seems, lately ;)