Slalom Skateboarding in Canada

Moderator: Claude Regnier

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Pointers for putting together a race

Post by Chris Iversen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Hey all,
I posted this in Random Slalom Topics, but thought it relevant to be here as well.

I'm thinking about putting together a small race in my Hometown of Strathmore, AB, Canada. There are not many racers here, so it needs to be something to attract racers from elsewhere. But I think something like this might attract new people to the sport. I teach Jr. High here, and I'm fairly high profile known as the "skateboarding teacher" (Is this a good thing??? I'm not sure... It's a small town, haha), but it might help with getting the kids into it. We have a decent little hill in the middle of the town (rare for the prairies), that is nice and wide, and could accommodate a 30-40 cone dual-lane Tight/Hybrid course nicely. There is a skateboard shop right on that street (on the course actually) so I'd hope they'd jump on the bandwagon as well, but we'll see.

Anyway, we have a Spring Fest here in the town, so I thought about coinciding it with that. Helps the prospect of road closures, etc. Thing is, I don't know where to start. ISSA sanctioning would be a strong possibility. Any organizers out there that can give me some pointers?
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Malcolm Stooke

Post by Malcolm Stooke » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:58 pm

would this be a 2008 race? if so i would most likely come. i cant offer too much advice as ive only organized outlaws, which is way easier. i would suggest to start organizing as soon as possible to see what the possibilities are. if you need any help with it i'm available, i could also come to town a day or two early to help you set up.

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:47 am

Yeah May 2008. An outlaw would be easier, but the only hill in Strathmore is under one of our busiest streets, so it would have to be a road closure. Anything outside of town is gravel or Hwy #1. Thanks for the offer Malcolm. I will be contacting the Spring Fest committee and town shortly, and we'll see how it goes.
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!