Saskatoon

Slalom Skateboarding in Canada

Moderator: Claude Regnier

Neil Gendzwill

Saskatoon

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:14 pm

Just a note to let you know that I'm not dead. Lately I've been getting together for vert sessions with a few of the other older guys on weekend mornings. Last night was a "Go Skate!" night at our local park, sponsored by a friend of mine who owned a shop. I hauled along the cones and set up a 6' straight slalom on the slight ly downhill path leading to the park. I was surprised at the amount of interest - lots of kids trying it on their popsicle sticks, a few older ones brave enough to ask to try my board. Most of those kids had never seen a skateboard actually turn before, I think. Lots of hooting and hollering as I ran the course (with as fast a pushstart as I could). I know there's one other guy in town with a slalom board, but I'm thinking there might be a few more soon if I can keep pushing the interest level up. I'll let you know if I ever get enough bodies together to have a race.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Hey there?

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:31 pm

Glad to hear you got out yesterday. We offered free sk8 at our indoor park. There seems to be Slalom guys popping out all over.

By the way Congrats on your originating the Cyber Slalom idea. Have you seen what it's grown too?

Next year Ottawa will host the first Canadian Slalom Championships since 1990. Plan for it. We will likely try to make it as part of our 3rd Annual Dovercourt Open around Canada Day.

Hope to see you.
Many Happy Pumps!

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Yeah, the cyber slalom thing is crazy. I haven't set up a course in a couple of years but there's no way I can picture myself breaking 8 seconds. I'd like to see Dong do that in person, he must have an incredible pump.

kevin langdon

Post by kevin langdon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:17 am

Hey, I'm from toon town and just picked up a slalom board. Hoping to learn how when the snow melts.
Where do you usually set up cones here in saskatoon??

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi. There's a skate-geezer session at the Lion's park Saturday or Sunday mornings, maybe a half-dozen older guys skating the bowl before it gets overrun with kids. People start showing up as early as 7:30, it usually breaks up around 10 or 10:30. If I get there, it's around 8:30 or 9. I usually haul along my slalom board and set up cones along the bike path to take a break from the bowl. Jon Bath also has a slalom rig but so far we haven't managed to both be there with our boards at the same time.

Drop me another line in this thread in the spring, we can arrange to meet somewhere.

kevin langdon

Post by kevin langdon » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:50 pm

Yea, I will do that forsure. I haven't managed to make it to the bowl yet (I mostly longboard), but I've been meaning to check it out.

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:25 am

Hey guys, I know it's a bit of a drive (although not as far as Ottawa), but there is a growing slalom interest here in Calgary. We are talking about putting together an outlaw race or 2 this summer, as well as a few of us possibly going to Ottawa. We'll keep you posted and hope you can drive out to skate. I am in Strathmore, about 2 hrs west of Medicine Hat, 40 minutes east of Calgary on Hwy 1.

You guys should plan a road trip, even just for a fun session... come skate the clover and full pipe at Millennium with us, then hit the cones..
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:25 am

Kevin, I should be there this Saturday around 9 if the weather is good. I'll have my slalom rig and some cones. Hopefully Jon will remember to bring his board this time - I'll send him some mail and remind him.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Session!

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:52 pm

I hope you folks had a good session.

I plan on bringing a race out your way within a couple of years, EH!

We hope some of you can make it out to the 3rdAnnual Docervourt Open. NCDSA>COM - contest calendar
Many Happy Pumps!

kevin langdon

Post by kevin langdon » Tue May 09, 2006 6:35 am

Neil,
sorry, I didn't see this post in time to make it out. I won't be round for the next few weekends, but I'll shoot you a PM to let you know when I'm back and we can meet up. I'd like to try the skte park and some cones maybe. I got a pool board and a slalom board over winter, but havent had a chance to ride either (I mainly just longboard). should be interesting..

Neil Gendzwill

Post by Neil Gendzwill » Tue May 09, 2006 5:46 pm

Sure, see you whenever you get out. Just upgraded my rig with some Grippens, they work really well.